USB Driver fails to install

General Questions and Answers about my products

USB Driver fails to install

Postby me_rubin on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I have a SiriusConnect Car Dock Model SCVDOC1 I have plugged in the USB cable (SC-H1 USB Interface) into the unit and the screen to install the drivers was pointed to the c:\FTDI directory where I extracted the interface files.

Upon installing I get the following errors:

I am trying to use this on my laptop running Vista Ultimate SP1 Could this be the issue?
Any help would be appreciated
me_rubin

Re: USB Driver fails to install

Postby me_rubin on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:43 pm

OK finally got the USB driver installed. It seems to be COM4

The install was a little confusing in that there is actually two times it asks you to browse for driver files. My problem is that I ignored the second request that is why it failed to install the USB port the first time.

Now that the USB driver is installed on COM4 I tried loading the SXRECORDER with the Plugins. They seemed to install ok

Now it cannot find the radio on com4.

Any suggestings again would be appreciated.
me_rubin

Postby MitchJS on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 am

did u set the switch on the dock yet?

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby me_rubin on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:13 pm

MitchJS wrote:did u set the switch on the dock yet?

mitch

I read about the switch
"One last thing: If you are using a Sirius Connect Dock (such as SU-CH1) there's a switch underneath that says H or SC. Switch it to SC and turn off and back on the radio docked in."
but this dock does not have any switches. I am thinking that this switch changes the Transmit/Receive wires such that it makes a DCE device into a DTE device. Do you know what this switch actually does?

Here is what the dock looks like:

If that switch does just that, then it is simply a matter of switching the two wires in the USB connection.

If it is more than that I will have to build a new DIN plug that goes from DIN to DB9. This way I can connect to serial port of computer.

The Dock Pin out connections are documented in the manual.

Does this look correct for your USB Cable?

The manual does not have much info other than that. Here is the link to the PDF.

PDF MANUAL OF SIRIUS Connect Vehicle Kit SCVDOC1

Again, I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mike
me_rubin

Postby MitchJS on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 pm

1st off its NOT RS232, so u cant just make a minidin to db9!!!

its ttl serial

and my generic answer applies here: I dont own that dock nor a tuner that fits that dock... therefore i have NO IDEA, if it works, how it works...

I do KNOW that on the HOME DOCK you have to put it in SC mode!

what radio are docking to it?

pinout matches of course, its SiriusConnet that is a standard
course what are you doing for power?
are u using my SC-C1 interface??

i think ur using my HOME cable for a CAR DOCK...

which brings that question again, what are doing for power

mitch

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby me_rubin on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:20 am

MitchJS wrote:1st off its NOT RS232, so u cant just make a minidin to db9!!!

its ttl serial

and my generic answer applies here: I dont own that dock nor a tuner that fits that dock... therefore i have NO IDEA, if it works, how it works...

I do KNOW that on the HOME DOCK you have to put it in SC mode!

what radio are docking to it?

pinout matches of course, its SiriusConnet that is a standard
course what are you doing for power?
are u using my SC-C1 interface??

i think ur using my HOME cable for a CAR DOCK...

which brings that question again, what are doing for power

mitch

mitch

I am using my Stiletto. This dock is said to work with all models of the Sirius Stiletto.

Here is a picture in the dock:
As far as power, I thought that might com from USB. I know when i connect the Stiletto to the USB connector that came with it, it does power the unit. But in the dock connected to your cable it does not seem to. The radio is receiving a signal in the dock without any external power. I get the 2-3 bars.

Obviously, without power I will need to power the radio for long term use, but for a few hours it could work from the internal battery.

In my earlier inquery you suggested this cable is all I would need. You said only the cable not the SC-C1 interface so that is all I bought. So your answer is Yes I'm using your Home connector for my SCVOC1 Car Dock connector. But I'm not connecting it to my car, I want to connect it to my computer. I want to use the software SX Recorder to control my stiletto.
Would the SC-C1 solve this problem? I'm not sure if it would. The dock came with a DIN cable. Would I plug this cable between your SC-C1 box? Then use a standard USB cable to the computer? I would also need a 12V supply. Possibly this is the answer.

If I go to DIN to DB9 I understand I would need to convert the TTL serial to RS232 Serial for both the input and output Signals.

I've seen some circuits where they build that into the connector.

So it is looking like this cable will not work?
If it won't work can I return the cable?
I would understand if you charge me for shipping and some reasonable fee.

Again I appreciate your help.

Update:
OK I've given it some more thought.

Obviously the cable will require voltage to convert TTL. I currently don't have any that is probably why the signal is not getting to the stiletto.

I went over and read the manual to the Home Connect. They have a DIN connector that goes to SIRIUS radios such as the RCA. There is something in that manual that states if the Radio supplies the voltage to the DIN connector you don't need the power supply. I'm thinking that your USB cable needs voltage supplied to the DIN Connector to power the chip in the connector. The DIN connector says Pin 2 is Power enable could that be +5V in from the power supply and then a Ground to Pin 4. What wires are going across from the 8 pins in the DIN connector over to the USB cable? Maybe splicing into the cable and adding the power supply connections might be the answer here.

Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Mike
me_rubin

Postby MitchJS on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:13 pm

I have NO IDEA if a stilletto supports SSP, the OLD 1st gen portable sirius ones DID NOT!

if anything... a HOME DOCK and my SC-H1 Cable, not the CAR DOCK... now if u want to use the CAR DOCK, id think you should use my SC-C1 Car interface

my SC-H1 Cable DOES NOT supply power, just the enable signal...

I dont see Stilletto listed in the list of supported radios for the HOME DOCK
so it prob dont support SSP (Sirius Serial Protocol)

I cant reall help here, cause i dont own that radio and that dock, but others can..if someone else has that radio
and i know i would NEVER say get this cable for a Stilletto!!!!
YEP, i warned you in the post!!!! about the Stilletto!
you really need someone else to chime in.. who owns stilletto...

i just emailed my friend at DEI, and asked does the stilletto support SSP via dock connector
he'll let us know for sure!!

stay tuned
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby MitchJS on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:15 pm

also to note, you use the POWER SUPPLY with the SC-H1 to supply power
it cannot get it from the DIN connector, in the SC-H1 the din connector supplies 5v OUT!!

in the SC-C1, the din connector is 12V in!!!

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby MitchJS on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:31 pm

the more i think about it.. if anything car = sc-c1 interface

there is 0 chance that the sc-h1 cable will work... since its a car dock
and u need to get power to the stilletto (if that even works)

if anything exchange cable for my sc-c1 interface

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby me_rubin on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:18 pm

OK looks like I should exchange the sc-c1 interface. I do know the Stiletto supports the Sirius Connect. The first firmware had issues with it as SIRIUS CONNECT would sometimes show up on the display. Later updates fixed this.
Should I just mail back the connector and then you will bill me via paypal for the difference?
What is the best way to handle this.

I'll mail out the connector on Monday. Do I need a RMA number or something?

Other than a 12V power supply what else will I require for your SC-C1 interface. From the picture

It looks like there is an audio cable necessary, Will that plug into the microphone jack of the PC?
Do you supply the connector for the 12V jack? Or can you tell me a source for this?

Thanks,

Mike
me_rubin

Postby MitchJS on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:18 pm

you sure like to over complicate things :)

the sc-c1 comes with the connector of course and a usb cable and an audio cable

yea.. if you want to exchange... send the sc-h1 one back... and $21 is the difference
you can paypal me the $21 now, and ill ship you the sc-c1 monday
and just send back the sc-h1 cable

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby me_rubin on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Mitch received the SC-C1 tonight.

Success!

Well sort of,

It does seem to work for a while, once I get it working. It seems to have an issue getting started. When the Stiletto does a cold boot up it starts with a dog icon and goes through a series of dot progressions. When the SC-C1 is connected it does not go through all the dots. It stops at the second one and immediately shows the Sirius Connect Screen.

Starting the Sirius Recorder screen sometimes it connects other times it does not.
Once connected, it goes out and populates the channel screen so I see this updating. etc.

The sound was over modulated so I put in a volume control adapter I had between the computer input and the wire.
That seemed to fix this issue.
It is one of these:

The issue now is after a while it shuts down. I'm wondering why.
It' has done it a few times at 6 or 7 minutes. The last time it ran for 10 1/2 minutes. This is the longest it has run. What I am wondering is the power to the dock. Are you sending any power to the DIN cable? What happens is the dock just shuts off. When It does not connect to the Sirius Connect screen it goes to the main Sirius Screen and I can play the radio directly into the computer speakers.
At that time I can look at the stiletto main screen and see that the battery is not charging so I'm thinking there is no power going to the DIN connector to the dock. This dock does not have a power adapter connector. It is supposed to get power from the DIN cable. I'm just wondering if there is some time-out in the dock that shuts it down after a time period if it has no power but other signals.

I went and put my meter on the power connector and did not get any volage to the power connector that will plug into the bottom of the stiletto.

The only other thing I can think of is the power adapter I have is not sufficient. I get the same shutdown of the stiletto if I unplug the power adapter. It will shut down the stiletto. I did not buy a very powerful one. It is rated 12V 300ma.
Here is the label on the power adapter.

Do you know how much current this needs?

Anyway, I'm making progress. I'm thinking if I need to connnect power to the dock I can get a a Din Jack/Plug and add a additional cable in line to provide this to the dock.

Let me know the answer to the power requirements.

Mitch thanks again for shipping it quickly. You should of received the other cable back today or tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Mike

UPDATE.

Well maybe I've fixed it. There is an option under docks in the menus to turn off autoshutdown. I did this and it's been running for almost an hour. I'm also wondering if the ac adapter might of been loose in the power strip. I don't know I should of not changed two things at once....

Morning further update...
It continued to run all night long. ( over 6 hrs) This morning I pulled the unit out to check the battery level. I put it back in and started the sirius connect again. Again it only ran for 10 minutes then shut down. I checked and the auto shutdown was again turned on. I turned it off again and again it went off after 10 minutes. This time the autoshutdown was still set to off.
I really don't have too much time this morning to play with it, but I will see what happens with further testing.

It also must be charging the battery. Normally the stiletto battery runs 4 hrs in sat mode. In my case, I connected the dock to the echo repeater receiver, but it still is operating in satellite mode and even though I don't see the + on the battery indicating charging, the battery is still full this morning.

One last thing. I'm starting to figure the best way to start up the sirius connect. When not working, it seems to reboot the stiltto over and over going into sirius connect, then the SX recorder will say it cannot connect, I press run, it reboots again and I can repeat this over and over. What I've found is I restart SX recorder let it fail to connect then turn SX recorder off then on then it seems to connect the very next time. Again I need to test this creating the exact senarios and use cases to see how I can make it work every time.

I looked at the ac adapter for my stiletto, it is 5V rated 2.5amps maybe I should get something higher than 300ma for your box.
me_rubin

Postby MitchJS on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:26 am

my box doesnt use any 12v power...

it just passes it though... though the din cable of course

300 ma is prob low...

i think the sc-H1 is a 500ma wart

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby me_rubin on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:18 am

MitchJS wrote:my box doesnt use any 12v power...

it just passes it though... though the din cable of course

300 ma is prob low...

i think the sc-H1 is a 500ma wart

mitch

Mitch,
I was a little concerned because the Stiletto uses 5V DC not 12V, but it seems that the 12V is passed through to Pin 2 of the DIN connector. This pin is labeled Power Enable. I think it is better labeled Sirius Connect Enable. I took back the 300ma wart and got a 1000ma one. No more issues with the cycling of Sirius connect, it immediately reboots and goes into Sirius connect mode and the SX Recorder starts right up no problem. So the issue was it needs more than 300ma to work or it was right on the cusp. Actually I've been playing with both my SL2 and SL100 stilettos. The SL2 seemed to do better with the low wattage but now it really connects and works fine.

So really now the only issue is the overmodulation of the volume, but my temporary fix of using the volume control seems to work, but the setting is very critical and I wish there was a better solution.

Mitch, another question...
Pin 1 is labeled Battery on the connection. If I measure the voltage when I have it in the dock, I get 5.4 Volts from pin 1 and Pin 4, which is the ground. Do you think if I supply +5V to pin 1 it will charge the battery?

Thanks,

Mike
me_rubin

Postby MitchJS on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:27 pm

THE DOCK USES 12V
its a CAR DOCK

unless there is a supplied regulator with the CAR DOCK

its 12Volts

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin