SC-H1 Question (car use).

Sirius Radio Technical Talk, Please no general posts about Sirius content

Moderators: PsychoRich, alexj212

SC-H1 Question (car use).

Postby pockets on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:38 am

Does anyone know of any reason that the SC-H1 unit would not be a good viable option to run on a carPC? I do realize that it comes with a home style of antenna setup, but it looks like I can connect a mini-puck style of antenna (car) and correct that small problem. The main interest that I have in this unit, versus the SC-C1 is that it has the optical toslink connection. If anyone has any direct experience on the subject, that would be great. I can pick one of these up at Circuit City for a good price, then I would only need to order the appropriate cable from Mitch!

Thanks,

Chris
pockets

Re: SC-H1 Question (car use).

Postby MitchJS on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:33 am

it needs 5volts vs 12v so you will have to modify/adapt a power connector (use pc power)
also its power supply section isnt designed to be in a cars rough environment

i would ONLY do it, if i needed optical

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby pockets on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:09 am

Thanks Mitch. I'll do a little soul searching. I had considered the 5v thing, but I had not considered the fact that the PS was not designed for the car's environment. I'm assuming (that can be bad) that this is a very valid consideration, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.

I do like a digital path, whenever possible, simply because it would seem harder to muck up that signal with any interference.

I can get the SC-H1 at Circuit City for $39.99 or the SC-C1 for $32.99 (both seem to be excellent prices) and both are in stock items at my local CC.

I'm still in planning stages for a lot of my hardware, but certain things like the HD Radio Vista (already purchased, and a cable from you too, thank you sir), and Sirius Radio (decisions, decisions) are a no-brainer. I'm considering a C2D Mac Mini refurb, running WinXP for the computer. They seem to be a lot of computer, for the money. I'm leaning towards a 7" Xenarc for a screen. I already picked up a Griffin Powermate when they were $20 from MP3car. I think I'll use an Alpine H701 processor between the computer and the amps and speakers.

What I would really like to find, is an optical toslink switch (like a 4 in and 1 out) that has a USB connection. This would be a nifty way to control which toslink source was being fed into the processor (be it an Alpine H701, or an optical input to the computer as a processor, etc). :mrgreen: Wow. I need it, Mitch makes it!

My goals are to be without a head unit, and be able to have radio (HD, AM/FM, Sirius), navigation, dvd, maybe cell phone bluetooth capability, and other possible things like wifi internet.

I have a decent amp and some Focal Kevlar components from my last vehicle, along with a decent sub.

If any persons have suggestions or criticism, I'm all ears.
pockets

Postby MitchJS on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:33 am

if you go optical, the power supply design issue is not gonna be a problem!!

and u can get 5volts from the CARPC (hard drive connector)

just would need to #1 get the plug for the 5v or #2 chop it off the wall wart that comes with the sch1
#2 is good enough

mitch
MitchJS
Site Admin

Postby Monkey on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Sorry to dig up a old thread, but does the centrafuse sat plugin (4.0 and beyond) support the sch1 natively? I am looking to go from my scc1 with your interface box to the sch1 with the new cable as I need the toslink. Thanks for any reply on this and for the great products I have used over the years.
Monkey

Postby MitchJS on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm

the protocol is identical....

so yes...
MitchJS
Site Admin

Return to Sirius Radio